Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Beacon Article 01/06/2010


The cliche' “You can’t judge a book by its cover” has a new meaning to me.
One Saturday morning on a trip to Greenwood I wondered how many people would be at the competition and how skilled my opponents would be.
I did well in the first event. I would have a trophy to show for my effort. Yet this prize is not the one I really wanted.
My opponent for the next event came forth, he looked very overweight slightly shorter than myself. He seemed to move slowly and I should easily have more reach on him.
As the referee dropped his hand I never saw the fist that hit me in my left eye. He got a point and I had a great pain in my eye. I thought he had given me what is called a blowout fracture. There was not enough time for me to contemplate my pain, diagnosis or anything else except to fight and fight hard and fast.
You see I had greatly underestimated my foe. I based his skill on his outward appearance. The lesson I received from my second event in this Karate tournament would be far more valuable than any trophy. After the tournament was over, my sparring opponent and I met again in the locker room. When he took off his top to his “Gi” (karate uniform) I realized what I had mistaken for layers of flab were actually very developed muscles. I found out he worked out six days a week at about two hours a day.
You see in life we pre-judge people many times on an outward appearance. Sometimes their hair may not appeal to us. They may stutter, have a birth defect, a shrill voice or a different color skin. What we sometimes don’t realize they have a wonderful personality, are very intelligent, or have a very godly spirit.
God the Father created them and He does not make mistakes. I pray this year be the year we see people through the eyes of Jesus with a love that goes beyond negative first impressions’.

12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 1 Timothy 6:12 (NKJV)



Happy New Year
With The Love of Christ
Deacon Dan
John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment