Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Beacon Article 9_30_09



Every day during the week if you visit The Ranch you will see many people enjoying a plate lunch. In comparison, Phelps restaurant would serve you a plate “lunch” anytime. Where is this restaurant? Oh, it’s been torn down for years. It was the restaurant my grandmother, mother, and aunt helped run when I was about four to five years of age.
My grandfather Carter (a carpenter who did everything, building, plumbing, electric, and concrete) was hired by the owner, Mrs. Phelps, to fix the sidewalk behind her establishment. This is the only time my grandfather ever sub-contracted out any work. He hired a man that supposedly did good concrete work. Well, I happened to be with him when he checked on the job. The man did do “good” concrete work; it just wasn’t up to my Grandfather’s standards.
Papaw broke up the concrete and re-did the work. When I asked him why, he told me he didn’t want to have his name attached to the work. It wasn’t perfect. He didn’t want his good name tarnished. That teachable moment for a young boy stayed with me. A good name, I didn’t understand the concept then. I do now.
It’s been said everyone has their price. I have seen this in business. When I worked selling hospital equipment, it seemed everyone expected you to lie, or work a deal “under the table”. I actually had a manager offer me money “under the table” to stay and work at a hospital over the weekend. He told me I would never go into sales because I was not a team player. Ecclesiastes 7:1 says
1 A good name is better than precious ointment;…………………...
Proverbs 22:1 says
1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.
What’s in a name? How are your great riches doing?




See you in church Sunday

With The Love of Christ,
Deacon Dan
Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment